4.21.2009

Book 14 makes me feel stupid!

I would review this book of 4 essays by Henry David Thoreau but I seriously can only sound stupid so I will just list some of the things that stood out to me.

1) I have never used a dictionary this much in my life.

2) This book was 90 pages long and in the time I read it I read 5 other books.

3) Civil Disobedience is a lot of commitment.

4) I should use my middle name if I ever publish something.

5) Dover thrift editions are the best thing about historically based vacations.

6) I have a Dover thrift edition of "The Souls of Black Folk" by W.E.B. DuBois and it is almost 200 pages so I will be done reading that this November.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous21.4.09

    GREAT book! Thoreau was most definitely a deep thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21.4.09

    Oh! You should try Thomas Paine sometime. He has the ability to make you think, nod your head in agreement, scratch your head wondering what he means as you grab for your dictionary, and tick you off, all in the same essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to use a dictionary when I read David Foster Wallace. I love that about reading his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Matt! The hardest author I have had to read through my studies in History and Poli Sci was Paine. He was so frustrating! Thoreau was up there though so I feel your pain in feeling stupid while reading some of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete