9.29.2009

I have a better understanding of these struggles

I've read some other books about adoption, and each of them addressed the struggles that may, or will, be faced by adoptees and their parents. They all seemed to be reasonable, but it was hard for me to see where the bitterness, or envy, or anger was coming from emotionally. This book did a phenomenal job of getting to the core of the issues. The author spent a good amount of time getting to the heart of the matter. Instead of just telling you that when your child says _______, you should respond like ________. She let's the reader know where the feelings of the issues lie. So if your child says ________ they probably are feeling this way because of these unspoken, and unresolved feelings. I feel like in general we give children far too little credit when it comes to their emotions. Often, I think, our children fully understand what they are going through, they just can't vocalize it, and so we assume they are ignorant to their heart issues. It sounds cheesy but I really do feel like this book has made me more equipped to deal with the unique challenges that are presented during adoption. I would definitely recommend this book for future adoptive parents or anyone that will spend any significant time with adoptees. Their is essential information that you may not hear anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment