3.02.2009

Vintage Jesus has a Glittery Gold Lining and Vellum Dust Jacket


Vintage Jesus, by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears is pretty much exactly what you would expect from a book about Jesus that is in any way associated with Mark Driscoll. It is honest, upfront, thought-provoking and sometimes a little bit much, but in the end It is a great read. I think we lose sight of who Jesus was as American's. Not what he did, not why he came, not how he died and saved us from sin...but WHO HE WAS and IS. I am not going to repeat everything that the book said, and when you think about it it was certainly nothing earth shattering, it wasn't even anything that Jesus himself didn't say about himself. And I think that is where the humbling part of the equation comes in. Jesus told us exactly who he was and we still get it all screwy. I'll let you read the book and make your own judgments and be convicted in your own way, but I will some up my experience with Vintage Jesus this way; as I was reading I can't say I had a new outlook on Jesus revealed to me, I wouldn't say my theological understandings were blown away and replaced with new more exciting paradigms, I wouldn't even say that I was convicted that I was ignorant about Jesus and what he meant to me but I can say this. As I read, and got deeper into the book there is one feeling that grew until the moment I closed the book. I realized that I love Jesus for a very long list of reasons and I can not wait for him to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment