12.17.2009

FIFTY! and done!

Well, I did it with a couple weeks to spare. I figured I would finish my quest with a book about another man's quest. I'll be honest, mine was a little less ambitious. This book is a "classic," at least according to some people. I have seen the film version of this book so I wasn't really biting on all of the twists and turns that Verne threw at me, but it was still entertaining.
To be honest after 50 books I'm tired of writing reviews so I am going to finish by saying this. I love epic adventure stories, and this was no disappointment on that front. It did, however, drip with closet racism, justification for imperialism, and general Caucasian bias. So, I won't be reading this to my kids. Not to mention that Verne generally takes a pot shot at most cultures as well as the Hindu and Mormon faith. I'm all for freedom of speech but I guess I trust my authors to keep it classy. Anyway, I guess the politician thing to say now is that these were different times, but that's non-sense so instead I'll say, this is a good story told through a very narrow worldview.

No comments:

Post a Comment