1.10.2009

How it Feels to be Adopted


My third book of the year was How it Feels to be Adopted. Now any of you who may know me fairly well probably know that I am a judge the book by it's cover kind of person...it's what I do. So as you can see I was up against a bit of a mental hurdle from the start, but I was pleasantly surprised. This book is short, simple, and an it easy it read. It is made up of 19 interviews of adopted children from age 6-18. They are pretty frank, and some of the things they said surprised me. The book is fairly old but it seems that there are quite a few common, universal threads that run through the mind of an adoptee. I won't bore you with all of my observations unless you ask me in person, but there was one thing that 5 or 6 of the children said that I thought was very enlightening to their situation. The children were asked when they think of their birth parents if ever, the reason the answer surprised me was it ran through all the age groups, all the reasons they were adopted, all socio-economic statuses, it just seems universal. And this is what they said, they answered that they really only thought about their birth mothers on their birthdays, they wondered if she remembered, or cared. They wondered if she was sad, or if she knew that they had a better life now. But this was where my mind got blown, almost every child in the book said they never, repeat NEVER thought about their birth father. I don't know what that is about, I guess it speaks to a maternal bond that men will never understand, but I don't plan on giving up any kids for adoption so hopefully I don't need to figure it out.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11.1.09

    I was adopted and would love to read the book. From your short review, it sounds like I would agree with the "rarely, if ever, think of my birth parents, and then pretty much only my mother" part.

    ReplyDelete