1.30.2009

January is almost done


So I know it's been a while but I have been a little consumed with getting stuff done for the adoption but I made my self get one last post in before January left us. So, at the end of the first month I have finished completely 5 books, I will review 1 of the 2 most recent in this post. I have also started 1 massive book (related website here) and read a substantial portion of 2 other books so I am on approximately a 65 book pace, so I am feeling good right now. I feel like I need to be ahead of pace when the summer hits because for some reason my reading in the summer declines...unless I get laid off again.
So, without further ado Praying in Colors When my friend Angel told me about this book I'll be honest I though it sounded a little cult-ish but I trust Angel about pretty much everything, but especially about not getting me tangled up in cult rituals...She still hasn't failed me (but that's probably what everyone in a cult says.) Anyway I heard enough people talk about it that I finally gave it a chance, and surprise surprise it is actually really beneficial. See, I tend to drift in and out of conversations with people that are right in front of me so sometimes talking to God can be hard for me. It isn't that I don't want to, or I am disinterested. I just don't focus very well. You should see me drive and talk, not a good thing. But this really worked, It actually helps me focus. I always used to say I did better in meetings when I could doodle and this was a little bit of reinforcement to my claims. I'm not going to tell you why you should read this book from a literary viewpoint because it wasn't written for that reason. In fact it isn't all that well written, but you should read this book because A)it will only take you about 45-60 minutes and B)it adds some new energy to your prayer life. It hasn't made me a better prayer, It definitely hasn't made me more spiritual, but it has made me eager to pray each day, and it has help me to spend a focused time in prayer without being interrupted. In a perfect world I would just be able to sit down and focus and pray, but I don't need to tell you that I'm not perfect and my brain doesn't often cooperate with me. But add the doodling and I have not a crutch but an enhancement to my prayer life.

2 comments:

  1. You are one funny cat! I love the doodles by the way. Go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book a few months ago and I've kept a prayer sketchbook ever since. I agree, it does help me focus and it leaves me with something concrete to go back and look at. Sometimes it's even pretty.

    ReplyDelete