6.23.2009

24 books down and liking the United States more book by book!

Sarah Vowell is a contributing editor to the Public Radio International program This American Life which is probably my favorite program in any genre of media. I've always felt like I kind of identified with her on some level. I mean like anyone we have some things in common and some things very much mot in common, but I feel like we process and think about the world in similar ways. So I put all of her books on paperback swap, and to my delight I received Partly Cloudy Patriot the other day. This is a collection of short writings for magazines, radio presentations, and letters to other individuals. They range in topics from A letter to Bill Clinton about what, and what not to do with his presidential library, to essays on the inauguration of George Bush, The Pitfalls of living in New York City vs. Montana, and a few thoughts on Patriotism. I've never really thought of myself as much of a Patriot, other than the "dissidence-is-the-most-genuine-form-of-patriotism" kid of patriot. But I am starting to realize that there is more to me than that. I don't figure I'll ever be a flag waiver, or a "this is the greatest country God has graced our planet with," kind of patriot. But I can see that this is a great country, and there are things to be grateful for. Freedom is good, democracy is good, diversity of population is great, the ability to dissent is fundamental to society. I will never be a jingoist, or a patriot in the close the border, apple pie inhaling, America is my religion way, but I can embrace the nation God determined I would live in, I can call it home, I can love it's people as long as I love all people, and I can be American. If it was good enough for Lincoln, it's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment