6.17.2009

How to Be an Explorer of the World

Some people may contend that I shouldn't count this in my books because it is such a light read, and not necessarily intellectually stimulating. But, some people like White Chicks. That's not the point, however. This book was really inspiring. It consists of 59 challenges to take to the streets. They are activities designed to increase you imagination, problem solving, story telling abilities, and overall hipster appeal. If you know me, you probably know that I do not hold to the "do not judge a book by its cover" non-sense. I'm a designer, so I always judge a book by its cover. That's not to say that I haven't read some great books that are lacking in the aesthetic appeal department, but I generally reach for the books that grab my attention. This book, however, I judged on its reverse instead of the obverse. It contained two statements that beckoned me to read it. One, a statement that I try to live out on a daily basis and impart to anyone that will listen. And the other a warning to those who may refuse to hear it. They are as follows and sum up the mission of this book:

Everyone is an artist.
- Joseph Beuys

Warning: To whoever has just picked up this book. If you find that you are unable to use your imagination, you should put this book back immediately. It is not for you. In this book you will be repeatedly asked to...suspend your disbelief, complete tasks that make you feel a bit strange, look at the world in ways that make you think differently, conduct experiments on a regular basis, and see inanimate objects as alive.

This is going to be fun!

1 comment:

  1. My son Jonathan has this book. He loves it.

    ReplyDelete