6.30.2009

HALF WAY!!!

On the last day of the 6th month of the year I finished mt 25th book. The Penguin Atlas of Food: Who Eats What, Where, and Why, a fascinating book, with a completely fascination-less title. The book is 42 Maps with an in-depth essay accompanying each describing a wide range of food related topics such as; under-nutrition, over-nutrition, mad cow disease, trade disputes, and fast food trends. If you have been following my blog you may have noticed that I have been reading quite a bit about poverty and food (especially the industrial food complex.) This was a great look at both topics in written as well as graphic form. The maps were great as well as the charts and data provided. I still can't quite comprehend the fact that we have more than enough food to feed the world but people are still going hungry, or that there are 30 food additives approved for use in foods worldwide that may cause unknown health risks. Or, that we add corn to foods just to use up the corn we have grown, thereby driving down the price of corn, forcing farmers to grow more corn to pay the bills, but I'm no world leader. But I am a reader, half way done!

2 comments:

  1. After I watched King Corn http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/kingcorn/corn.html
    I started to hate corn as the world's great evil food plant. Corn on the cob is so good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the halfway mark!

    ReplyDelete