8.13.2009

3/5ths finished


I finished this book a few days ago, but I have been so busy reading my next book that I forgot to update the blog, so here goes.

There are only a few currently active writers that I must buy their books as soon as they come out. That short but highly prestigious list would include; Erwin McManus, Malcolm Gladwell, and now Michael Pollan. Last year I read his book The Omnivores Dilemma it was fabulous. A simple blend of information, data, and thought provoking conversation on our food and where it comes from. That being said, I suppose I assumed that he was a one hit wonder, My assumption was wrong as I tore through In Defense of Food I realized that I was capable of listening to this man fill two books with very similar material. Not only that I felt some angst that there wasn't more to read. I can't give a better review than that, and to say that as soon as I finished In Defense of Food I moved on to his other creation The Botany of Desire, which you can very soon expect a write-up for.

I find his writing to be whimsical and scholarly at once, while holding my attention and asking me to dive deeper into the subject on my own time. I don't know what more I could want from a writer.

1 comment:

  1. Did you feel this was a rehash of Omnivore's Dilemma?

    Today I found some old tracks we recorded. Was a blast from the past. reminded me of going to the dive cafe's on Fridays. Good times, mmm, Good times. Miss those times bro.

    ks

    ReplyDelete